The version 2.9 upwards of WordPress has the ability to use your very own wordpress custom post types. However with the version 3.0, you have the option to also create panels for your custom posts. In this article, you will learn how to customize the post types in your site using the custom post types wordpress plugin.
Create Your Custom Post Types Through the Help of Plugins
You can always make use of plugins to create custom post types in your website. You can use gallery plugins for wordpress or hardcode in the functions.php file of your theme to do it. However, here we will only cover custom post type UI that helps in customizing post types easily. Developed by Brad Willaims, the most cool feature of this plugin is that it generates the code for the customization of post types without any trouble. You can always paste that code into the function.php file of theme to enable it.
- First of all you need to click on the Add New option
- Then you are required to fill in the ‘post type name.’
- Yow will see label in the sidebar of the dashboard. You can however expand the view advanced options to see more options which you can configure. Some of them are self explanatory for example the Show UI and Public.
- With the public option you can display the custom post type menu to the sidebar, where as with the Show UI you can generate the menu panel by setting its value to true.
- With the Rewrite option you can use the SEO friendly URLS, however Custom Rewrite Slug can be set to anything that you want. WordPress uses this option for generating the permalinks. For example if you have a website abc.com with a custom rewrite slug of ‘songs’ then your permalink of custom post type will become abc.com/songs
- The Query Var option helps you query the type of your custom post. For example if you are to access the post having a title My First Post, that is written under the My Posts post_type, you can enter abc.com/?=my-first-post. This makes the query to look as ?posttypename.
- Lastly you can always choose the different features that are compatible with your custom post type for example featured image and excerpts.
You can thus say that the custom post types wordpress plug helps in enabling the custom post types for your website without having to require a developer to write the necessary code.