From the Japanese term boke, the word Bokeh was formed. This means blur or haze. In most photography, this effect is commonly used. This is commonly applied in the image custom backgrounds that show an aesthetic blur quality. In this post, you will learn several bokeh graphic design tutorials that will aid in creating a bokeh effect.
Bokeh adds appeal to your image by intentionally or accidentally adding aesthetic blur effects. In creating a bokeh effect, using camera techniques can be helpful. But, to make a more creative Bokeh effect, you can use your Photoshop.
How to Make Bokeh?
There are several graphic design tutorials available on the web. We are one of those so we will provide you the best and easy steps on how to make bokeh using the application, Photoshop.
Photoshop Gaussian Blur and Brush engine is the two tools necessary in creating the effect.
- Find the gradient tool at your Photoshop application. Choose any color that will look nice as a background.
- Generate a new layer that will hold the light blobs. You can also do this by using the CTRL + SHINT + N shortcut. The Brush Engine will help in creating the blobs by pre-selecting the brush tool. To do this, press F5. You can also do this by going to Window -> Brushes. In the brush engine, customize the parameter and the shape of the brush by sliding the Spacing option.
- Modify the tip of the chosen brush. Aside from providing space, it also modifies the spacing, position and variable colors. In the Brush Presets, put a check on the Shape Dynamics option. You can either increase or decrease the Size Jitter depending on your preference. But it is advisable to intensify the jitter to make a better Bokeh effect. In the left menu, check the Scattering option to determine the distance between each Bokeh. Before closing the Brush menu, put check on the Smoothing option.
- Select the generated layer. Over the canvas, drag the mouse while using the brush tool. Variety of shapes and colors will pop out while dragging the mouse over the gradient.
- Select the same layer and turn the mode to Color Dodge. This method makes the shapes more visible.
- Improve the blur setting by going to Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian Blue. This will create a more mash-up and hazy output for your Bokeh effect.
- To make the effect more visible, simply duplicate the layer. Use the shortcut CTRL + J for a faster access.
Read and learn Dreamweaver CS6 tutorial to improve your development skills!
Depending on your preference of mixture and style, you can experiment by adjusting the blend mode and opacity of the effect. Finally, you’re done creating your Bokeh effect. This simple graphic design tutorial will help you to develop your Photoshop skills in creating Bokeh effects in your Photograph.
Of course, you will get a mistake on your first, second, third or more tries. But, you will surely master the art of Bokeh effect and Photoshop through continuous practice and experimentation.